How to Jumpstart your vehicle tips
Here are some steps to help you in jumpstarting your car’s battery. A second fully-functioning vehicle is needed to make this procedure a successful one, along with a set of jumper cables. Always remember that there is a danger in doing this procedure so extreme caution must be taken:
1. Before charging the car, open the hood and inspect the battery for any signs of damage.
2. Check all the cables attached to the battery are secure and free of any signs of corrosion. If there are any loose cables tighten them. If your battery cables show signs of corrosion, loosen the clamps and clean the cables with a stiff-bristled brush.
3. Position the vehicle to be jumpstarted next to the second vehicle. Make sure the cables are close enough to connect the two vehicles together.
4. Shut off the vehicle being used to jumpstart your battery.
5. Open the hoods of the two vehicles.
6. Identify which are the positive and negative terminals on each battery.
7. One end of the red jumper cable should be attached to a positive terminal of one car while the other end should also be attached to the positive terminal of the other car.
8. Take the one end of the black jumper cable and attach it to the battery’s negative terminal. The other end of the lack jumper cable should be attached to the negative terminal of the other car’s battery. At this point, sparks will emit from the battery but fear not because this is normal.
9. Turn the engine of the charger vehicle and rev it.
10. After revving the charger vehicle for a few minutes, start the car that’s being charged. If the engine would not start, adjust the cables and make sure they are attached firmly.
11. Once the car being charged starts, it should be kept running for at least 20 to 30 minutes for the alternator to have enough time to recharge the battery.
12. After charging the failed battery for at least 20 to 30 minutes, turn off the engine.
13. Remove the jumper cables in reverse order from which you first attached them.
14. Remove the black jumper from the negative terminal of the charger vehicle.
15. Remove the black charger from the battery that was charged.
16. Remove the red jumper cable from the positive terminal on the charger vehicle.
17. Remove the other end of the red jumper cable from the positive terminal of the battery that was charged.
18. Return all cables to their designated places and organize the jumper cables used.